This fun and easy recipe is my twist on the original “Rice Krispies Treats” recipe we all know and love.
If you’re going to a kid’s birthday party, these will be a sure hit. My good friend recently celebrated a combined birthday party for her two kids, ages 2 and 5, and I wanted to bring something sweet along with their birthday gifts. I figured that Rice Krispies Treats would be a good option. Who doesn’t love them?
A few days before the party, although I had the 3 simple ingredients at home already, (the cereal, the butter, and the marshmallows,) I walked by a display of Fruity Pebbles on sale, and that’s when this idea hit me.
If you’re bringing these treats somewhere, doubling the recipe (or making it twice like I foolishly did) isn’t a bad idea. Also, you might want to consider cutting your squares into different sizes if there will be a range of ages at the party. Please believe me when I say these Confetti Marshmallow Treats will be loved by toddlers, children, teenagers, AND adults.
3 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
3 Cups Fruity Pebbles Cereal
1 Package (10 oz.) Marshmallows
3 TBSP Unsalted Butter
- Line a pan with wax paper (enough wax paper to measure double the length of the pan) so you can cover and press them into place when the time comes.
- Pour Rice Krispies and Fruity Pebbles into a large bowl and mix to combine. (Use your hands to combine. Way easier.)
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat, stirring frequently with a rubber spatula.
- Add marshmallows until completely melted, stirring often.
- Add the cereal mixture into the pan and remove from heat.
- Stir with rubber spatula until cereal is well incorporated into the melted marshmallow mixture.
- Evenly press mixture into a lined pan, using the extra wax paper to help you cover the top and press it all into place.
- Allow to thoroughly cool about 15-20 minutes before removing from pan. It will slice much easier when it’s not still warm and sticky.
- Place on a large cutting board and slice into various sizes using a large serrated knife or pizza cutter. I love using my pizza cutter for this step.
Like confetti at a birthday party, these treats are so festive, speckled with bits of rainbow color, you can’t help but smile when you bite into one. Plus, they’ve got a nice kick of fruity sweetness to go along with them. An unexpected twist that livens up the original recipe we all know and love. I hope you love them as much as I do!